Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Yet another fawning review of Neil Gaiman

Well at least I call it what it is. This weekend I read Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett. I think a reviewer on the back said it best, something like "The Book of Revelations as written by Monty Python's Flying Circus."

It is about the coming of the Antichrist and the end (or not) of the world. Every page has something to chuckle about, like how any tape left in your car for more than three weeks magically transmutes into Queen's Greatest Hits, or how the Hound from Hell was tamed by a boy. It has one of my favorite characters in years, Anthony J. Crowley, an "Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards."

Supposedly Terry Gilliam has the movie options on the book, but has had them for a decade or so, so don't look for the adaptation too soon in the theaters.

A highly recommended summertime read. I think I may buy the book as I expect it is funnier upon rereading.


1 Comments:

Blogger Zuula said...

I have reserved it at my library. The bit about Anthony J. Crowley reminds me of Sebastian Flyte. Looking forward to it.

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home