Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Well here I am

An unanticipated home repair (front door lock) finds me at home today, waiting for the locksmith. I will update you on some books and movies.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. This was a good one-day read. In fact, it was so engrossing that I think I read it all in one sitting. Nothing earth-shattering, just enjoyable. The narrator and hero is a very realistic and likeable person. The story is interesting, with lots of "color" since it is about the circus.

Coraline by Neil Gaiman. This is a novella that may be for children, but is super scary, even for adults. I loved it. My husband read it and liked it too. I see that it is being made into a movie, but thankfully it will be an animated movie, not an adaptation with live actors. I was a little scared, because Dakota Fanning is listed as the person who will play Coraline, so I worried that she would be the lead actor, but she is just the lead actor voice. Not that I dislike Fanning, I just wasn't sure this would be done well with live actors. Neil Gaiman is amazing, just amazing. I have not read anyone's works in a long time who has such a brilliant and original imagination.

Stardust, the movie. Another Neil Gaiman story. I had tried to read the book a while ago and could not get into it, because I did not know it was a fairy tale. Seeing the movie makes me want to read the book again, knowing it is like the Brothers Grimm or something, rather than a modern fiction novel. The movie stars Charlie Cox (hottie alert!) Claire Danes, Robert DeNiro, and Michelle Pfeiffer. It is a fantasy and a little odd, since it isn't really for kids and isn't really for grownups either. Again, though, Gaiman has such great and fantastic ideas, it is worth it (to me) to watch a Hollywood version, even with all the Hollywood conventions and baggage. There is one scene that looks to be a rip off of Titanic, which is not a movie I want to see imitated (in the sense that I didn't like Titanic in the first place). If you watch Stardust, see if you can find that scene, it almost made me laugh out loud.

1 Comments:

Blogger mo said...

will definitely check out the NG stuff. Have one of his books on hold at the library.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home