my favorite book
If I had to pick just one book that was my favorite, I would pick Busman's Honeymoon by Dorothy L. Sayers. It is her eleventh, and last, Lord Peter Wimsey detective novel. This is the fourth one to feature Harriet Vane, his love interest, after Strong Poison, Have His Carcase, and Gaudy Night. In fact, it is probably best to read those in order, to understand how much fun Busman's Honeymoon is.
Why do I like it so much? Well. it is witty, romantic and well written. But especially it seems like an accurate yet idealized picture of English Country life before the modern era. Sure, it was 1937, but the house they took didn't have electricity, and they had to arrange individually for the beer to be delivered, to find the best butcher, and make relations with local merchants and craftspeople, everything that modern life is not. It is also fascinating as a picture of the English class system, where everyone knew their place in the pecking order and behaved accordingly. In the book, there are many times when a "subordinate" does something for Peter and Harriet that no one would do for a stranger today, and they did it simply because Harriet and Peter were their social superiors.
It also reminds me of the James Herriott novels, which I loved when I was younger. English country life, aaahh that is the life for me. Of course, I would have to be one of the wealthy ones, asking for tea from the manservant, having my clothes laid out for me, and generally being taken care of.
While I haven't read James Herriott in twenty five years, I do reread the Sayers mysteries every five years or so. Those are really the only books I ever read more than once. Life is too short, eh?
Why do I like it so much? Well. it is witty, romantic and well written. But especially it seems like an accurate yet idealized picture of English Country life before the modern era. Sure, it was 1937, but the house they took didn't have electricity, and they had to arrange individually for the beer to be delivered, to find the best butcher, and make relations with local merchants and craftspeople, everything that modern life is not. It is also fascinating as a picture of the English class system, where everyone knew their place in the pecking order and behaved accordingly. In the book, there are many times when a "subordinate" does something for Peter and Harriet that no one would do for a stranger today, and they did it simply because Harriet and Peter were their social superiors.
It also reminds me of the James Herriott novels, which I loved when I was younger. English country life, aaahh that is the life for me. Of course, I would have to be one of the wealthy ones, asking for tea from the manservant, having my clothes laid out for me, and generally being taken care of.
While I haven't read James Herriott in twenty five years, I do reread the Sayers mysteries every five years or so. Those are really the only books I ever read more than once. Life is too short, eh?
2 Comments:
I checked out neverwhere and was very entertained. have you read any of his other books?
American Gods is really really good! That is the only other one I have read.
Post a Comment
<< Home