Friday, June 27, 2008

Hooked

No, this is not about a crochet project, although I am starting a new one..... I am going to make a tablecloth, even though I am sure it will take me ten years to finish it.

Since reading Busman's Honeymoon I have been obsessively reading the other Dorothy Sayers novels. I read Strong Poison and Have His Carcase, The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club, and I just finished Murder must Advertise, which I think is my second favorite.

I just love her books for the astute and detailed description of British society in the 1920s and 1930s. As I said before, the class distinctions and all the baggage and social conventions that go along with that just fascinate me. It is amazing that so many people were so accepting of such a silly idea. Murder must Advertise has a long of conversations by the characters about where they had gone to school, and of course those who did not attend college or did not attend Oxford or Cambridge, are automatically socially inferior.

On a totally different note, I am also obsessively reading The Sandman series by Neil Gaiman. There are ten total graphic novels (collections of individual comics really), and I have read six so far. Once I sit down with one, I MUST read it cover to cover. I really cannot put them down. Highly recommended if you like comics, but they do have some pretty serious adult content.

In May everything besides gardening took a back seat during my free time. Now, everything besides reading is taking a back seat. I do manage to vacuum the house weekly, and walk the dog, but not much else is getting done... thus passes time.

1 Comments:

Blogger mo said...

i hear you about the reading...I occasionally think about going to a movie but then I think, but I've got stuff to read...

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home