Distraction
Tonight I am trying desperately to forget what I discovered today..... that the scarf I am trying to finish has a mistake about six inches ago, and there is no way I can fix it. I had gotten to the point of not even liking the scarf anymore and was just trying to finish it so I could move onto better things, when I was looking at it today and realized I had switched the right side and wrong side of the lace pattern and now it just looks ridiculous. It took me SO long to make, since it is lace weight yarn and size two needles.
I am seriously thinking of ceremonially burning it.
So, instead, I am thinking of the movies I saw this week, Houseboat and Spellbound.
Houseboat, of course, is another entry in the Cary Grant canon. This time with Sophia Loren, with whom Grant was supposedly madly in love with at the time of filming. Alas, she had already met Carlo Ponti.....

The movie is great fluff, the best part is actually the acting and story line of the three children, very realistic and poignant, and not at all maudlin or played for comic relief. Sophia Loren looks fantastic! even though I feel sorry for her having to sing a few silly songs ("presto, presto, do your very best-o" and so on).
Although it is silly to imagine that a father of three children would hire a nanny on the spot, without even getting any information about her. Oh well, that's Hollywood. Whatever makes the plot run.
Spellbound is a Hitchcock film, and probably not one of his best. Ingrid Bergman is a little overly dramatic as a psychologist trying to help Gregory Peck uncover some dark secrets, and Peck is a little wooden. Still, some of the camera angles and shots are pretty inventive, and the Salvador Dali-designed dream sequence is fun. Did you know the score was played on a theremin? I didn't, until I checked out the DVD extras.
Again, silly plot devices, in which the two meet and are instantly struck by a coup de foudre, explaining why Bergman runs away with Peck, a suspected killer, less than 24 hours after meeting him... Then again, he is very pretty, I would be tempted to run away with him too.

There, I managed to forget about the scarf for fifteen minutes, and now it is almost time for Part 2 of Pride and Prejudice on PBS. Another 90 minutes of sweet scarf oblivion.
P.S. I watched The Devil Wears Prada last night, and was VERY disappointed in it. Meryl Streep was fabulous, but the rest of the movie was flat. the clothes weren't even that great.
I am seriously thinking of ceremonially burning it.
So, instead, I am thinking of the movies I saw this week, Houseboat and Spellbound.
Houseboat, of course, is another entry in the Cary Grant canon. This time with Sophia Loren, with whom Grant was supposedly madly in love with at the time of filming. Alas, she had already met Carlo Ponti.....

The movie is great fluff, the best part is actually the acting and story line of the three children, very realistic and poignant, and not at all maudlin or played for comic relief. Sophia Loren looks fantastic! even though I feel sorry for her having to sing a few silly songs ("presto, presto, do your very best-o" and so on).
Although it is silly to imagine that a father of three children would hire a nanny on the spot, without even getting any information about her. Oh well, that's Hollywood. Whatever makes the plot run.
Spellbound is a Hitchcock film, and probably not one of his best. Ingrid Bergman is a little overly dramatic as a psychologist trying to help Gregory Peck uncover some dark secrets, and Peck is a little wooden. Still, some of the camera angles and shots are pretty inventive, and the Salvador Dali-designed dream sequence is fun. Did you know the score was played on a theremin? I didn't, until I checked out the DVD extras.
Again, silly plot devices, in which the two meet and are instantly struck by a coup de foudre, explaining why Bergman runs away with Peck, a suspected killer, less than 24 hours after meeting him... Then again, he is very pretty, I would be tempted to run away with him too.

There, I managed to forget about the scarf for fifteen minutes, and now it is almost time for Part 2 of Pride and Prejudice on PBS. Another 90 minutes of sweet scarf oblivion.
P.S. I watched The Devil Wears Prada last night, and was VERY disappointed in it. Meryl Streep was fabulous, but the rest of the movie was flat. the clothes weren't even that great.
4 Comments:
yes, I thought Devil was overrated. houseboat is great - I cant believe you are just now seeing it...We rented "Romance and cigarettes" last night. very funny, at first....great soundtrack tho.
Take the scarf out and redo the messed up part. You won't regret it.
Frog back to the mistake and get it over with. You'll feel much better when it's right. (Said she who made Branching Out and then vowed to never knit lace again)
We watched Hatari - one of the few lighter John Wayne movies where the female lead doesn't get turned over his knee. Maybe because Howard Hawks directed, not John Ford.
Thanks for the review of Houseboat (and the lovely photo of Cary Grant & Sophia Loren). I must add it to my Netflix queue.
Post a Comment
<< Home