The Awful Truth is awful good
If you like 1930's screwball comedies, you will probably like The Awful Truth. A 1937 classic with Cary Grant and Irene Dunne. This is one of those movies, like The Thin Man series, where people booze it up in the morning, everyone is way dressed up, all the time, even at home, and wit just pours effortlessly from everyone's lips.
The two play Jerry and Lucy Warriner, a socialite couple who get divorced but of course still love each other. The plot is entirely predictable, but the movie is still great.
These are people who wear a suit and tie or a sparkly gown even in their own home, in the morning.

The movie has some great lines (especially by Aunt Patsy) and some great animal acting, since their dog, Mr Smith, almost steals the show, he is so funny.
Watching this makes me want to drink champagne at all hours, invest in some fluffy boas, and wear dressing gowns all weekend......
And of course, it confirms my belief that Cary Grant is the most handsome and attractive person who ever walked this earth.
The two play Jerry and Lucy Warriner, a socialite couple who get divorced but of course still love each other. The plot is entirely predictable, but the movie is still great.
These are people who wear a suit and tie or a sparkly gown even in their own home, in the morning.

The movie has some great lines (especially by Aunt Patsy) and some great animal acting, since their dog, Mr Smith, almost steals the show, he is so funny.
Watching this makes me want to drink champagne at all hours, invest in some fluffy boas, and wear dressing gowns all weekend......
And of course, it confirms my belief that Cary Grant is the most handsome and attractive person who ever walked this earth.
5 Comments:
I know I've seen this movie but some of the old ones are hard to keep straight. they're basically all about some kind of misunderstanding about some matter that people couldnt really talk about back then but now you would tell to any stranger who just walked by.
I second your belief that Cary Grant is the most handsome and attractive person who ever walked this earth. Classy, dreamy, that charming accent, that suit cut -- take me away Calgon!
Mr. Smith = Asta. That dog deserves a star on the Hollywood sidewalk.
I've never seen this. I can't believe it. I love Cary Grant, and Irene Dunne is one of my favorite leading ladies, right up there with Katharine Hepburn and Carole Lombard. I'm heading over to Netflix.
I just linked to your blog from WoolGathering, and although I'm typically a lurker when it comes to new (to me) blogs, I have to say straightaway that Cary Grant is the best thing that ever happened to Hollywood. Ever. Sigh.
Post a Comment
<< Home