Alone in the kitchen
I just read Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant, which is a good collection of essays about solo eating. One essay said that no one is truly honest about what they eat alone, we all say we eat an omelet with veggies and a nice glass of wine, when really we are eating pickles and crackers with grape jelly.
While I don't think that is really true, that people lie about their habits, I do find it interesting to see what people eat while eating alone. Some contributors said chili, or noodles with cottage cheese(!!), or bread and tomatoes. For me, it is popcorn with cheddar cheese grated on top (don't knock it until you try it) and a beer. It used to be cheese and crackers with olives and pickles for dinner, but for the past five years or so, it has consistently been popcorn. For dinner. With a beer. If it is for lunch, then I drink a N.A. beer, unless I want to take an afternoon nap.
I asked my friend S, and she said her alone meal was usually beer and cereal. But not at the same time. I bet my husband would answer peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, which is his default meal even when I am around... I would never eat cereal or peanut butter and jelly for a meal, unless that was the only, only thing available in the house. But popcorn, that is a totally legitimate meal. Right?
While I don't think that is really true, that people lie about their habits, I do find it interesting to see what people eat while eating alone. Some contributors said chili, or noodles with cottage cheese(!!), or bread and tomatoes. For me, it is popcorn with cheddar cheese grated on top (don't knock it until you try it) and a beer. It used to be cheese and crackers with olives and pickles for dinner, but for the past five years or so, it has consistently been popcorn. For dinner. With a beer. If it is for lunch, then I drink a N.A. beer, unless I want to take an afternoon nap.
I asked my friend S, and she said her alone meal was usually beer and cereal. But not at the same time. I bet my husband would answer peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, which is his default meal even when I am around... I would never eat cereal or peanut butter and jelly for a meal, unless that was the only, only thing available in the house. But popcorn, that is a totally legitimate meal. Right?
4 Comments:
Huh! I usually, especially in the evening, make a "real" meal. My latest dinner at home was an experiment which worked out really well. Seasoned(Penzey's Northwoods), poached and then shredded salmon, fresh squid ink pasta (no, I didn't make it!) and snow peas. Each item prepared separately and then mixed in a light butter & mascarpone sauce and then sprinkled with grated fontina. Yes, with a glass of wine.
This sounds like a lot of work but really wasn't. Besides, what's the point of eating if it isn't something good that you enjoy?
My lunches this weekend were BLTs with onion, dill pickle and mayo.
When I am feeling lazy I do ramen - spicy chicken - noodles with an egg or two poached in the bottom.
I think your husband would answer "a bowl of honey nut cheerios".
I used to eat chips and salsa. Or maybe some fake chicken nuggets with salsa. I also love crackers with mustard, cheese and tomatoes. We did have popcorn for dinner last week, no grated cheese, no beer though. And one of my faves is potatoes and onions, which I pretty much only eat if I'm alone.
This is making me hungry and I am suddenly thinking about my favorite quick meal to eat alone -- hot ramen noodles sprinkled with edamame and a slice of peanut butter wheat toast on the side.
Post a Comment
<< Home