Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A random walk

At one of the craft blogs I read, I came across a reference to Amy Krouse Rosenthal's Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life. I got it from the library and started reading (and perhaps that will be the subject of a future post). But she quoted a passage from Agatha Christie's autobiography, which made me think "Hmm, I bet that is interesting." I mean, who did not read all of Agatha Christie's books when they were twelve? So I got that out of the library.

So far it is OK, the introduction tells us that "A few episodes which to some might seem important - the celebrated disappearance, for example - are not mentioned." So I guess it is pretty subjective. On the whole I can say it seems to be just a massive brain dump. She Rambles, she defines the word "ramble".

But so far, I have come across some interesting things, such as her description of bathrooms:

"We were very delicate about lavatories in those days. It was unthinkable to be seen entering or leaving one except by an intimate member of the family; difficult in our house, since the lavatory was halfway up the stairs and in full view from the hall. The worst, of course, was to be inside and then hear voices below. Impossible to come out. One had to stay immured there until the coast was clear."

Can you imagine having to hide in your bathroom until everyone was gone, just so they would not see you leaving the room? Imagine how much time was wasted.

P.S. Note to self: use the word immured more often, it looks intellectual.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home