Bride and Prejudice
Well the movie viewing continues, yesterday I watched Bride and Prejudice, the Bollywood-like adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. I enjoyed it, but you kind of have to be either a Jane Austen fan, a movie musicals fan or a fan of chick flick pictures to like this one.
It is a pretty faithful adaptation of the novel, with a few changes in the subplots (most notably the Wickham-Lydia subplot). It was strange watching this movie knowing what would happen yet not knowing what they might change.
I have not seen any real Bollywood movies, so I was a bit surprised by the singing that seemed to crop up at the oddest moments. There were also some cute fantasy scenes, and a lot of dancing. A lot of dancing. I guess big dance numbers are a staple of Bollywood movies, with hundreds of extras.
What I enjoyed the most about this movie, besides it being yet another version of one of my favorite books, was the COLOR. The colors were fantastic in this movie. The women wore dresses (sometimes saris, sometimes not) of turquoise, salmon, coral, lilac, and grass green. All the extras in the dance scenes were dressed in similar bright yet clear colors. People mostly wore solids or near solids, so there were just big bright blocks of color everywhere.
It made me think about my own wardrobe. I have always mostly worn solid colors, not being a fan of stripes, plaid or dots in clothing (fabric for decoration and quilting is another story). But why did I go through a phase five years ago when I thought the simplest way to dress was to buy everything in gray? I have so many gray sweaters and shirts from that period. Now they depress me.
Also, you would think that cultures from the "drab" north would crave these bright colors, but it seems like the "tropical" cultures, like Mexico, India, the Mediterranean, etc, are the ones we associate with bright colors. I wonder if it was the availability of dyes, or the inspiration from the indigenous plants (like bougainvillia, hibiscus, etc) that caused certain groups to use more bright colors. Maybe it is the effect of the light at the equator, if things aren't bright, they just look dingy? Or maybe it is just a cultural cliché.
When I think of colors and Northern countries, I think of Blue and Yellow with Sweden, which I guess is bright. I also think of the reds and blues and greens of Lapp and Finnish costumes. But in general, the pinks and corals and oranges and greens and yellows conjures up more tropical places.
Then I think about my own decorating, using sage as the main color, with accents of beige and cream and natural wood. Hardly Bollywood. Maybe we should redecorate......
P.S. The movie is almost three hours long.
It is a pretty faithful adaptation of the novel, with a few changes in the subplots (most notably the Wickham-Lydia subplot). It was strange watching this movie knowing what would happen yet not knowing what they might change.
I have not seen any real Bollywood movies, so I was a bit surprised by the singing that seemed to crop up at the oddest moments. There were also some cute fantasy scenes, and a lot of dancing. A lot of dancing. I guess big dance numbers are a staple of Bollywood movies, with hundreds of extras.
What I enjoyed the most about this movie, besides it being yet another version of one of my favorite books, was the COLOR. The colors were fantastic in this movie. The women wore dresses (sometimes saris, sometimes not) of turquoise, salmon, coral, lilac, and grass green. All the extras in the dance scenes were dressed in similar bright yet clear colors. People mostly wore solids or near solids, so there were just big bright blocks of color everywhere.
It made me think about my own wardrobe. I have always mostly worn solid colors, not being a fan of stripes, plaid or dots in clothing (fabric for decoration and quilting is another story). But why did I go through a phase five years ago when I thought the simplest way to dress was to buy everything in gray? I have so many gray sweaters and shirts from that period. Now they depress me.
Also, you would think that cultures from the "drab" north would crave these bright colors, but it seems like the "tropical" cultures, like Mexico, India, the Mediterranean, etc, are the ones we associate with bright colors. I wonder if it was the availability of dyes, or the inspiration from the indigenous plants (like bougainvillia, hibiscus, etc) that caused certain groups to use more bright colors. Maybe it is the effect of the light at the equator, if things aren't bright, they just look dingy? Or maybe it is just a cultural cliché.
When I think of colors and Northern countries, I think of Blue and Yellow with Sweden, which I guess is bright. I also think of the reds and blues and greens of Lapp and Finnish costumes. But in general, the pinks and corals and oranges and greens and yellows conjures up more tropical places.
Then I think about my own decorating, using sage as the main color, with accents of beige and cream and natural wood. Hardly Bollywood. Maybe we should redecorate......
P.S. The movie is almost three hours long.
2 Comments:
Oh my gosh, come over to the land of Bollywood. Bride and Prejudice and Lagaan were the ones that got us started. The colors! The swirling! The music! It's fabulous. You get a feel for them after a while, the musical numbers start to make perfect sense. And they're all at LEAST three hours long. More bang for your Netflix buck!
Yes, you said it, the swirling!!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home