Thursday, June 07, 2007

Pink

I spend a lot of time thinking about the flowers in my garden. I think about where they are in the garden, where they come from, what other species there are, and stuff like that. But mostly I think about the color. And what I like in flower color is clearly PINK.

These peonies were here when we moved in, they are in a very shady spot, and still manage to produce blooms like this. I am astounded that something could be this beautiful.

Hey, another peony that was here when we moved in. Peonies are just mindbogglingly fabulous. They are drought tolerant and very long lived. if I were going to be buried I would want peonies on my grave.
This is a Callirhoe I just planted. It has one flower so far. A stunning shade of purpley-red magenta.
I bought this as a whim, I think it is an Osteospermum. It is more of a purple pink.


This plant, Geranium 'Max Frei' is great in the garden, better than the picture would suggest.
It is a clear magenta. I love bright magenta flowers.

And finally, my rose 'William Baffin', it is taking over and shading out my prairie plants, but I do not do a good job staking it. It is more of a lipstick pink, not really bubblegum. It probably has hundreds of blooms right now. Thanks 'William Baffin'!


I do have non-pink flowers, it is just that the pink ones grab me more. Maybe since red and green are opposites, there is more tension in a green and red combination, even if it is light red, not true red? Then why don't I have more red flowers in the garden? You might think that would be even better.

I think maybe I can't decide between a pastels-subdued garden and a knock your socks off bright colors garden, and pink lets me have a little of both.

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie McC. said...

I always think I don't like pink, and then summer comes and it's everywhere and beautiful.

Thank you for the comments. Blogger won't let me reply directly, but I wanted to let you know.

6:57 AM  
Blogger mo said...

not to mention that peonies smell so great. how about an overall pic of the garden or is that on flickr

7:57 AM  
Blogger Zuula said...

I LOVE peonies! Love, love, love them. Julia brought me two separate bunches of them from her yard and they looked so lovely on the dining room table.
And lilacs. I think I need to buy a country cottage when I retire and have it be all a-riot with flowers.

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home