One Good Turn
Another book review.
Have you ever read any books by Carl Hiaasen? Maybe Sick Puppy, about land developers and toads in South Florida? Did you even wish he was British and the novels took place in England? Well if so, you are in luck, you can read One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson. It is kind of like Carl Hiaasen with tea and crumpets and tins.
I read Behind the Scenes at the Museum, also by Kate Atkinson, some years back and really liked it, but it was nothing like Carl Hiaasen. I would recommend it anyway, a bit more serious tale of a British family in the 1950's with more than a few family secrets.
I got out One Good Turn on a whim and read it in two days. It goes fast. It is a book of coincidences, quirky characters, and unexpected plot twists. It is set in Edinburgh and is full of very British characters, language, culture. Good for an anglophile like me.
I particularly want someone to read it so I can ask them a question about one of the characters. There is a twist at the end that I did not see coming and I want to know if others can see it coming...... so read it and then let me know so I can ask you something.
Have you ever read any books by Carl Hiaasen? Maybe Sick Puppy, about land developers and toads in South Florida? Did you even wish he was British and the novels took place in England? Well if so, you are in luck, you can read One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson. It is kind of like Carl Hiaasen with tea and crumpets and tins.
I read Behind the Scenes at the Museum, also by Kate Atkinson, some years back and really liked it, but it was nothing like Carl Hiaasen. I would recommend it anyway, a bit more serious tale of a British family in the 1950's with more than a few family secrets.
I got out One Good Turn on a whim and read it in two days. It goes fast. It is a book of coincidences, quirky characters, and unexpected plot twists. It is set in Edinburgh and is full of very British characters, language, culture. Good for an anglophile like me.
I particularly want someone to read it so I can ask them a question about one of the characters. There is a twist at the end that I did not see coming and I want to know if others can see it coming...... so read it and then let me know so I can ask you something.
2 Comments:
just put it on hold at the library. am #31.
I am #25.
Post a Comment
<< Home