Monday, June 25, 2007

Farm tour

We went on a tour of our CSA farm last weekend, it was really interesting. I know a bit about growing vegetables, but I know nothing about farming, so it was quite fascinating to learn about how different it is to grow crops than it is to grow plants. They have about 46 acres in production, probably about 35 different crops. Think of all the planning, the crop rotation, the different management approaches, the cover crops. Whew, it makes me tired just thinking about it.


I thought these red lettuces were quite pretty, having gone to seed because they were not a big seller this year, and thus not even worth picking.

The obligatory barn shot.



And another barn shot. How can you resist a barn? Especially in the Midwest, I think we are required to take pictures of our barns here.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home