Sunday, April 08, 2007

Organize it!

Well I am in heaven. We finally got our new furniture - two dressers, a bed, and a double wide bookshelf. Now I can spend the next few weeks doing my absolutely favorite thing: organizing stuff! I think I should have been a professional organizer, it is so satifsying, and so essential to my happiness.

Things I can organize:
the books in the bookshelf
my yarn supply
my fabric supply
my beads
the kitchen stuff
my clothes
all the papers
the dog stuff
the books

I mean, really, the list is endless. I can't really think if things are messy. It is just there in the back of my mind, and prevents me from thinking of anything else. Even right now, I think of all the drawers and cupboards in the house that are not optimally organized, and it bugs me.

This is a major problem at work, because although I can keep my own area clean, I can see other people's messy desks and I want to clean them up for them. And the common areas are always a mess and I spend too much time cleaning them up. The last thing I do before going home is to clean up and tidy my bench and desk. In between experiments, I take time to tidy up.

Not that I am all that clean. I once talked to someone who distinguished between dirty/messy, dirty/tidy, clean/messy, and clean/tidy. I am definitely the dirty/tidy. Not to the point of ickyness, of course, but I will tidy before I clean. It matters more that the books are lined up on the shelves, and the knick knacks are lined up properly than that there is no dust.

Hence, the love of organizing. What I really want to do is organize my fabric. I can just spend a whole afternoon folding each piece and then arranging them by color, or fabric theme.... yummmmm.

All we have done so far is organize the books into nonfiction (large bookshelf) versus fiction (smaller bookshelf) and organize the CDs alphabetically. I used to organize my CDs by color, but now we have too many for me to remember the colors of all the CD cases, so now it has to be alphabetical. My husband won't let me return to the color coding anyway. It was really neat, you could do all sorts of different gradations, light to dark, rainbow. I have always liked to play with colors and colored objects, hence my interest in yarn, fabric, and beads. I guess the CDs were just an earlier manifestation of that.

So, for the next few weeks I will be sorting through my socks and underwear, throw out the old stuff, tidying up what remains. I will be happy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Zuula said...

Wait a minute! None of the new furniture is for the kitchen....have you just decided to take the opportunity to organize the entire house? Shall I come over and get my lamp and sander from the basement?
I am sort of schitzoid and don't quite fit into any of those 4 categories. It depends on the room. I like to keep the kitchen really clean (clean for me anyway). I like to keep the living room and dining room ("public rooms") neat and fairly clean. Although the bathroom is also "public" I am a little - OK, quite a bit - less good about keeping it clean. And the 2nd bedroom is a pit, as evidenced by the staggering amount of dust on the bookshelves discovered during Mo's visit. The dust was discovered, not the bookshelves. The bookshelves were not entirely hidden beneath a thick layer of dust, although I could see it getting that bad.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Shelly said...

I am organizing THE WHOLE HOUSE.

You are a clean/messy.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Zuula said...

But dust as think as a layer of felt isn't exactly clean.

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home