Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Doggie day tripping

Last weekend it was really nice here so we went to Indian Lake County park, just a short drive away from town. County parks allow dogs on leash so we took the meeps. She is like our child, it is so sad..... in a good way. We plan trips around her.


Anyway, Indian Lake is a very nice park with some hilly trails and great views. Above is a view of a nearby farm and a bit of the lake (frozen at that point). I like it how the farm and its silos look like a Castle in the distance.


Also at the park is a little chapel, called St Mary of the Oaks. It was built by previous owners of the land, before they donated it to the County. Apparently, the builder built it in gratitude for his family surviving a diphtheria epidemic in the 1850's.

Every time I go to the park, I have forgotten about the chapel, so seeing it each time is a nice surprise. It is a strange feeling to have that tiny bit of forgetfulness, but I like it since I can enjoy the chapel each time almost as if it were the first time I had seen it, but there is a little added memory each time.

I don't know why I like this place so much, being the committed athiest that I am. You can see the dedication and love that built it (it is on the top of the hill). It is a tiny place, and the stones to build it were hauled uphill by the man, his son, and an ox team. It makes me feel peaceful to think about this place.

There will be more pictures on my Flickr page shortly.

1 Comments:

Blogger Zuula said...

Goody! Goody! More pix on flickr soon!
I like Indian Lake too. And the little chapel is a great thing. I never tire of visiting it. I've done a bit of hiking around out there. I think up over the hill there is a lodge where you can warm up in the winter. Warning - just a log building with a big stone fireplace if you happen to have anything to make a fire with. The story goes that it used to be a much smaller fireplace until some boy scouts built a fire that was a little too big. They made it bigger - or at least the stone surround bigger - to make it safer.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home