Tuesday, November 14, 2006

What I heard today

When you teach a class of 250 students you are bound to get some interesting things happen. Today there was a test. I had already scheduled alternate tests for 4 students who have learning issues, but today I got:

1. A phone call 15 minutes before the exam from a student on the way home to deal with a family emergency.
2. An email from a student who needed to go to the health center instead of coming to the exam.
3. A student who came in to the exam at the end, in tears, saying that she had just woken up.
4. A student who came after the exam and explained that he had totally forgotten that the exam was today (guess he must have skipped class today then...).

Of course, since I am a total wuss, I let them all reschedule. I was only pissed at the last person, since he declined my offer to take the exam today, saying he didn't have enough time to study (I know, I am SUCH a pushover) and then asked for the last handout (since he clearly hadn't come to class the two times it was handed out in class). Sigh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Zuula said...

For me, fortunately, the Italian dept has 5 exams and a final. The lowest exam grade is dropped (but NOT the 5th one) so if they miss one for any reason, I say "well, that can be your dropped exam."

8:16 AM  
Blogger Zuula said...

P.S. To the last student I would have said today or never.

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home