Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Movie review: Word Play

We finally saw Word Play, the movie about xword puzzles. It was enjoyable, despite the VERY FIRST thing being a bit of Sunday NPR with Her Overlychipperness, Leigh Ann Hanson (Sp?)

My thoughts:

1. Wouldn't a movie of Word Freak by Stefan Fatsis be excellent? Either a documentary about the real strange people who obsess over Scrabble, or a fictional version starring Linsday Lohan and Jude Law as up and coming Scrabble players.....
2. How many people started doing xword puzzles after seeing this movie?
3. Is it worth getting cable just to see Jon Stewart on a daily basis?
4. Will I ever finish a Sunday Puzzle?
5. Will I ever do a puzzle in ink?
6. Who knew that anent was a word (from the puzzle I did last night, a Monday puzzle).
7. Why do I prefer jigsaw puzzles? Must be the pretty pictures.
8. Why do I like sudoku even less than xword puzzles? Will I become senile faster?
9. Is it sad to totally OBSESS over something trivial like xword puzzles, or not?
10. I wish more time was spent explaining how people construct xword puzzles, that was the best part (besides Jon Stewart).

For a funny xword related snarky blog post, look here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Zuula said...

1. Gawd! Now I have to read Word Freak
2. ???
3. ???
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. ME
7. A rare yet peculiar brain quirk?
8. Can't comment due to lack of ever trying, but suspect that I would concur. Sudoku better for avoiding senility? I'm in trouble!
9. Eh, could be meth
10. Dotto (more time, not more meth)

Talk about obsessing! That blogger sounds obsessed with not liking crosswords

9:41 AM  
Blogger Shelly said...

dotto? Is that an obscure word too? Or is that a blotto person saying ditto?

11:05 AM  
Blogger Zuula said...

Oops..... ditto.

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, there is a movie about Scrabble freaks, it's called Word Wars (spelled out in Scrabble tiles, of course). I just picked the DVD off the library shelf yesterday. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet though, stay tuned.

I love Scrabble. There is a computer version now, and you can play speed matches (10 minutes) -- totally addictive.

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home