Collecting versus crafting
I have always pooh-poohed people who collect things. Who wants to see fifty salt and pepper shakers arranged on a table, or worse, stored in a box? I prefer to make things - knitting, crochet, quilting, beads.
But lately, I have been buying stuff for my crafts, and is seems more like collecting. Pretty yarn, shiny beads, fabric packs. I have too many beads that I just couldn't resist buying, and I keep buying new skeins of yarn for future projects despite not having finished the current projects. Now I know this is not anything special, many people have their stash of stuff, I have even read about people who stored their yarn or fabric in the freezer or car trunk so their husband wouldn't find out about it....
But combined with other aspects of my personality, it seems wierd for me to have a stash. First of all, I am cheap. Second of all, I hate clutter. Third, I hate shopping. I currently only have about seven pairs of shoes (TOTAL). Fourth, I am pretty lazy, and seem to spend more time reading about making stuff than actually making stuff.
But I just can't resist anything that is a pretty color, or soft, or shiny, and could possibly be used to make something. I don't want to collect sweaters, or shoes in cool colors, or premade jewelry, or socks, just craft supplies. I just want to fondle supplies. There has to be a word for this.....
But lately, I have been buying stuff for my crafts, and is seems more like collecting. Pretty yarn, shiny beads, fabric packs. I have too many beads that I just couldn't resist buying, and I keep buying new skeins of yarn for future projects despite not having finished the current projects. Now I know this is not anything special, many people have their stash of stuff, I have even read about people who stored their yarn or fabric in the freezer or car trunk so their husband wouldn't find out about it....
But combined with other aspects of my personality, it seems wierd for me to have a stash. First of all, I am cheap. Second of all, I hate clutter. Third, I hate shopping. I currently only have about seven pairs of shoes (TOTAL). Fourth, I am pretty lazy, and seem to spend more time reading about making stuff than actually making stuff.
But I just can't resist anything that is a pretty color, or soft, or shiny, and could possibly be used to make something. I don't want to collect sweaters, or shoes in cool colors, or premade jewelry, or socks, just craft supplies. I just want to fondle supplies. There has to be a word for this.....
2 Comments:
My presssssssious....
I think you hit the nail on the head. Shiny objects are attractive...
Post a Comment
<< Home