Wednesday, October 18, 2006

My knitting philosophy

Well I just totally changed my approach to knitting, which I think will require some major yarn purchases. I realized I had been looking at books and patterns, trying to find the easiest patterns that I liked. So I have lots of single skeins here and there for simple garter stitch scarves. These tend to be flashy yarns, those that would look good with a boring simple pattern.

Lately however, I have decided that I need to challenge myself and learn a new knitting skill with each project. Or at least I need to choose patterns based on whether I like them, not how easy they are to do.

This started when I got One Skein, and learned how to do cables to make a scarf for M. Then I got Mason-Dixon Knitting, and learned how to slip one purlwise to make the washcloths. I am now working on another scarf from One Skein, this one involves kf&b and k2tog.

Finally, I got Scarf Style, which has loads of fabulous patterns, but which are definitely harder to do. I looked at some of the patterns and fell in love with them and realized that if I know how to do the individual stitches, then I could do the whole thing. I know this is obvious to knitters, but previously I had looked at hard patterns and immediately thought that they would be too hard for me. No longer.

So I am going to pick a few patterns from Scarf Style, buy some yarn, and knit some kick ass scarves!

BTW, all these books have KALs. I am a part of the One Skein and Mason-Dixon KAL (can you find my posts???) but not the Scarf Style one. Yet.

1 Comments:

Blogger Zuula said...

Good to see you branching out. Now you can teach me to knit. Yea!

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home