Friday, October 13, 2006

Go AWAY!

I have an obsession with hummingbirds. I plant plants for them in the garden (specifically Salvia 'Lady in Red') and put out a feeder in May. They usually arrive in August and stay for a while. Every time I see them in the garden I am transfixed. I feel as though I am standing there with my mouth hanging open, drool collecting on my shirt, because they are so amazing. A bird the size of my thumb is truly a miracle.

But now I want them to go away. We have had two nights of hard frost and I am worried about them. I read a bit on the web, and people suggest you leave your feeder up until November here in WI, and that having a feeder does not discourage them from migrating. That is what I was worried about, that I would come out one morning and see a hummingbird frozen to my feeder, lulled into a deadly sense of security by my nectar.

I guess I will try to be optimistic, thinking that I am providing them with much-needed fuel to begin their long journey to Central America. And then wait until next August to see them again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home