R.I.P. YKW?
One of my favorite blogs just stopped publishing. Called youknitwhat, it posted pictures of ugly knitting and made snarky comments about the projects. It was a hoot to read.
Now, I check out LOTS of craft books from the library, but I try to be picky and not get out any that are full of ugly projects. Imagine my surprise when I checked out Vogue Crocheted Bags and found it to be full of YKW-worthy projects. This is a book from Vogue, people. And it was published in 2006, so we are not talking about making fun of stuff from the 1970's, like this site does.
Some of them are ugly in design, like this one, who would wear this bag?
Or this one. Why not make complete granny squares on the sides, instead of those ugly partial squares that look like they were cut off. And the colors, ick.

Some of them are just ugly color choices, like these two. Pink and green and purple???

And some of them just seem lazy. Who would crochet a nice yoga bag and then attach a cheap strap to it, it looks awful.

Sigh, I miss YKW. I lack the snarkiness to come up with good copy about these pieces.Now, I check out LOTS of craft books from the library, but I try to be picky and not get out any that are full of ugly projects. Imagine my surprise when I checked out Vogue Crocheted Bags and found it to be full of YKW-worthy projects. This is a book from Vogue, people. And it was published in 2006, so we are not talking about making fun of stuff from the 1970's, like this site does.
Some of them are ugly in design, like this one, who would wear this bag?
Or this one. Why not make complete granny squares on the sides, instead of those ugly partial squares that look like they were cut off. And the colors, ick.
Some of them are just ugly color choices, like these two. Pink and green and purple???

And some of them just seem lazy. Who would crochet a nice yoga bag and then attach a cheap strap to it, it looks awful.
As a disclaimer, not all the bags were ugly, just 80%.
1 Comments:
I will miss YKW? It was pretty funny.
Post a Comment
<< Home