Vacation reading
I have been continuing my reading list and have read two new book while on vacation. They also both are set in England, thus continuing my months' long obsession with England.
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night, by Mark Haddon, is excellent. It tells the story of an autistic child named Christopher and his efforts to navigate his life. I read the whole thing practically at one sitting, because it was so easy to read. I don't know how accurate the depiction of autism is, but the author did work with special needs children before writing the book. Highly recommended.
Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro, is also excellent, but I don't think I 'got' it. It is hard to talk about this book without giving away the main premise, which is only gradually revealed to the reader, but at some point I just didn't believe that the characters would act the way they did, so accepting of their fate. I was not convinced by the author that this was plausible. I was more drawn to the story between the characters, rather than their interaction with society at large. I guess I was left with many questions, which may be the point of the novel, but which to me is unsatisfying.
I need to go to the library now and get more books on my book list.....
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night, by Mark Haddon, is excellent. It tells the story of an autistic child named Christopher and his efforts to navigate his life. I read the whole thing practically at one sitting, because it was so easy to read. I don't know how accurate the depiction of autism is, but the author did work with special needs children before writing the book. Highly recommended.
Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro, is also excellent, but I don't think I 'got' it. It is hard to talk about this book without giving away the main premise, which is only gradually revealed to the reader, but at some point I just didn't believe that the characters would act the way they did, so accepting of their fate. I was not convinced by the author that this was plausible. I was more drawn to the story between the characters, rather than their interaction with society at large. I guess I was left with many questions, which may be the point of the novel, but which to me is unsatisfying.
I need to go to the library now and get more books on my book list.....
2 Comments:
I have heard from several friends about The Curious Incident.... Guess I'll have to read it now.
Yeah it was worth it, and fast.
Post a Comment
<< Home