Sugar fiend
Never underestimate the power of sugar. Yesterday my husband bought a 2L bottle of orange soda to drink with our snacks as we watched the World Cup. I should have known right away there'd be trouble, 'cause you know you have to drink the whole 2L in one day or it will go flat and be wasted. Well, I ended up drinking about 80% of it (1000 calories by the way).
As we got into bed, at 9:49 (ok sometimes we go to bed early) I realized I was WIDE awake. At first I thought I was having an anxiety attack, since my heart was pounding and my thoughts were racing. Then I realized it was the sugar, and I knew I was in for a long night. At first I redecorated our bedroom in my head (30's vintage fabric and new curtains) then I designed hundreds of pieces of jewelry in my head (all of which I have forgotten this morning). Then the noises began. I heard:
1. The teenagers setting off fireworks. Ok, they are leftover from the fourth of July.
2. The dogs barking. That happens a lot in our neighborhood.
3. The low flying jet going directly over out house. That never happens.
4. The neighbors coming and going at 11:30 p.m. They haven't moved in to the house yet, so I am not sure why they paid a visit at night like that. They slammed doors and jangled keys.
5. The chain saws at midnight. There was a storm earlier and I hoped it was the power company cleaning up some debris, not a crazy neighbor with a lust for power tools.
6. The unexplained domestic disturbance at 12:04 a.m. Either our dog or our cat knocked over the cd shelf under the window. That made a loud crash, but what was really loud was the two wooden bowls with loose lids that contained my grandmother's marble collection that were sitting on top of the cd shelf. When that tipped over, the marbles got loose, and hundreds of marbles bounced across our wooden floor........
After that things quieted down, and all that was left was:
7. The wind moving though the leaves.
8. The whimperings and whinings and yelpings of our dog during her two doggie dream episodes.
My husband slept through it all, except for the marble episode. That would have woken anyone. Now I just have to tell him never to buy 2L bottles of soda anymore, I can't be trusted to drink responsibly.
As we got into bed, at 9:49 (ok sometimes we go to bed early) I realized I was WIDE awake. At first I thought I was having an anxiety attack, since my heart was pounding and my thoughts were racing. Then I realized it was the sugar, and I knew I was in for a long night. At first I redecorated our bedroom in my head (30's vintage fabric and new curtains) then I designed hundreds of pieces of jewelry in my head (all of which I have forgotten this morning). Then the noises began. I heard:
1. The teenagers setting off fireworks. Ok, they are leftover from the fourth of July.
2. The dogs barking. That happens a lot in our neighborhood.
3. The low flying jet going directly over out house. That never happens.
4. The neighbors coming and going at 11:30 p.m. They haven't moved in to the house yet, so I am not sure why they paid a visit at night like that. They slammed doors and jangled keys.
5. The chain saws at midnight. There was a storm earlier and I hoped it was the power company cleaning up some debris, not a crazy neighbor with a lust for power tools.
6. The unexplained domestic disturbance at 12:04 a.m. Either our dog or our cat knocked over the cd shelf under the window. That made a loud crash, but what was really loud was the two wooden bowls with loose lids that contained my grandmother's marble collection that were sitting on top of the cd shelf. When that tipped over, the marbles got loose, and hundreds of marbles bounced across our wooden floor........
After that things quieted down, and all that was left was:
7. The wind moving though the leaves.
8. The whimperings and whinings and yelpings of our dog during her two doggie dream episodes.
My husband slept through it all, except for the marble episode. That would have woken anyone. Now I just have to tell him never to buy 2L bottles of soda anymore, I can't be trusted to drink responsibly.
4 Comments:
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Holy things that go bump in the night! You drank THAT MUCH orange pop???? Did you slosh when you walked?
Funny I just read an article about museum wax. Apparently it doesn't harm wood furniture but you can paste your valuables onto your shelves if you have pets, small children or live in an area prone to earthquakes.
I went to bed around 10:30 and heard some fireworks and a street party somewhere near, but it didn't last long.
I hate the way this blog operates! In the other one if you mess up a comment you can delete it completely. What's going on here?
Post a Comment
<< Home