Summer reading, part 1
Blog Stalker Reading List
This summer I have a new reading project, based on one of my favorite blogs (posie gets cozy). The person who writes this blog is a craftster and shop owner in Portland, and I enjoy her blog because she has such a beautiful aesthetic sense. She posted her summer reading list, and I thought that would be a good opportunity to read some books that I would normally not read. I decided to at least try to read everything on her list.
I kind of like the idea of taking some arbitrary reading list and checking out all the books on the list. I tried this before with Nobel Prize winners, or "100 best Books" lists, but those are all so stuffy and serious.
My reading preferences are normally quite traditional, it seems that I usually just read books that are like books I have already read. Since I tend to read 19th century British and American literature, I usually get books from the library that continue that theme. You know, Dickens, Austen, that kind of thing.
The only time I diverge from this is when I get books from the new book shelf in my library, which does add a little variety, but which is pretty hit and miss. So, this blogger's list just seemed like a good way to get outside of the box, book wise.
I have read two books so far, and they have been worthwhile, sort of.
The first one, Hens Dancing by Rafaela Barker, is CHICK LIT. British chick lit, but chick lit nonetheless. The author is the mother of three and lives in Norfolk. The heroine of the book (Venetia) is a mother of three and lives in Norfolk. So I wonder, does this woman only have one book in her, the book about herself?. The single mother of three lives a quirky mishap-filled life, complete with predictable romantic involvement. A good summer read, maybe for the beach. And it reminded me how CUTE the British are, with their teas, and gardening, and wellies. I did see in the library the second novel about Venetia, but I didn't get it out, since is seems like it would be one of those "hurry write another while the first one is still popular" kind of books.
The second book, Behind the Scenes at the Museum, by Kate Atkinson, is a real novel. This one I would actually recommend. It is about Ruby Lennox, born in York in the fifties. She is the youngest of three daughters, and the book is told from her perspective. It is quite well written, poignant, and funny. And it reminds me how CUTE the British are, with their puddings, and cathedrals, and Yorkminster. You get a view of life during WWI and WWII, as well as post WWII. It is quite nicely written, and a good story.
This summer I have a new reading project, based on one of my favorite blogs (posie gets cozy). The person who writes this blog is a craftster and shop owner in Portland, and I enjoy her blog because she has such a beautiful aesthetic sense. She posted her summer reading list, and I thought that would be a good opportunity to read some books that I would normally not read. I decided to at least try to read everything on her list.
I kind of like the idea of taking some arbitrary reading list and checking out all the books on the list. I tried this before with Nobel Prize winners, or "100 best Books" lists, but those are all so stuffy and serious.
My reading preferences are normally quite traditional, it seems that I usually just read books that are like books I have already read. Since I tend to read 19th century British and American literature, I usually get books from the library that continue that theme. You know, Dickens, Austen, that kind of thing.
The only time I diverge from this is when I get books from the new book shelf in my library, which does add a little variety, but which is pretty hit and miss. So, this blogger's list just seemed like a good way to get outside of the box, book wise.
I have read two books so far, and they have been worthwhile, sort of.
The first one, Hens Dancing by Rafaela Barker, is CHICK LIT. British chick lit, but chick lit nonetheless. The author is the mother of three and lives in Norfolk. The heroine of the book (Venetia) is a mother of three and lives in Norfolk. So I wonder, does this woman only have one book in her, the book about herself?. The single mother of three lives a quirky mishap-filled life, complete with predictable romantic involvement. A good summer read, maybe for the beach. And it reminded me how CUTE the British are, with their teas, and gardening, and wellies. I did see in the library the second novel about Venetia, but I didn't get it out, since is seems like it would be one of those "hurry write another while the first one is still popular" kind of books.
The second book, Behind the Scenes at the Museum, by Kate Atkinson, is a real novel. This one I would actually recommend. It is about Ruby Lennox, born in York in the fifties. She is the youngest of three daughters, and the book is told from her perspective. It is quite well written, poignant, and funny. And it reminds me how CUTE the British are, with their puddings, and cathedrals, and Yorkminster. You get a view of life during WWI and WWII, as well as post WWII. It is quite nicely written, and a good story.
1 Comments:
That's her SUMMER list? Whew! She must not have a tv or too many responsibilities. One of the books on the list, The Red Tent, was recommended to my by a friend who also recommended something else... with 'Venus' in the title.
Post a Comment
<< Home